Swedish Massage Liverpool
Swedish massage therapy is a technique, which is used to relax the entire body. This is accomplished by rubbing the muscles with long gliding strokes in the direction of blood returning to the heart. But Swedish massage therapy goes beyond relaxation. Swedish massage is exceptionally beneficial for increasing the level of oxygen in the blood, decreasing muscle toxins, improving circulation and flexibility while easing tension. Swedish Massage is deep tissue massage that efficiently treats injuries. It removes blockages and damaged cells, speeding up recovery and encouraging complete healing. It is especially effective for reducing pain, helping to release endorphins that work as the body’s natural painkiller
Traditional Swedish massage consists of four types of massage strokes:
1. Effleurage – a long or circular stroking movement made with the palm of the hands. Often called the ‘hello’ or ‘goodbye’ strokes as they are used at the beginning and end of the massage, at the beginning to warm and soften the muscles and at the end to soothe and relax the client.
2. Petrissage (from French pétrir, “to knead”) – massage movements with applied pressure that are deep and compress the underlying muscles. Kneading, wringing, skin rolling, and pick-up-and-squeeze are the petrissage movements used to loosen up the muscles.
3. Friction – uses the thumb or fingers to pinpoint knots (trigger points) and congestion in the muscle tissue. Added force is applied to the area, such as shoulder muscles, to break down adhesions. The movements include rocking back and forth or cross-fibre friction.
4. Tapotement – uses hacking or cupping techniques applied for the purpose of relaxation. Each technique involves using both hands to alternatively strike the skin. As other techniques achieve the same results more effectively tapotement is not widely used.
What benefits can you expect from a Swedish massage:
– Relaxation and lengthening of your tight and tense muscles.
– Relief from your aches and pains as knots are released from your muscles.
– Improved blood flow and lymph circulation.
– Aids detoxification of metabolic waste from the body.
– Feeling of de-stress and relaxation of your mind.
– Uplifting effect of your mood if you are feeling run down or slightly depressed.
– Ability to improve the quality of your sleep.
– Boosts your immune system, which aids in your healing process.